In mid-December we reported that a petition had emerged in Japan through the platform change.org requesting to studies MAPPA to restart the adaptation project Chainsaw Manbut expelling the director Ryū Nakayama who, it is suggested, did not have a proper understanding of the work and offered a final product that did not do justice to the original work of Tatsuki Fujimoto.
And yes, it turns out that in Japan the platform change.org it still has “some cachet” and people do take it seriously, unlike in the West where the amount of “joke requests” is such that no one takes a post made there seriously anymore. Therefore, this user’s request is quite developed, as the presentation reveals:
- However, the anime adaptation has been controversial since it began airing.The reason is that although the high quality of the animation has been well received, there is a huge gap between the director, Ryuu Nakayama, and the fans when it comes to the interpretation of the original work.It is not an exaggeration to say that the project has been a true failure, with notable unpopularity on social networks and anonymous forums.
- In light of this situation, I am submitting a petition to Shueisha and Studio MAPPA demanding the re-animation of Chainsaw Man with a new director who has a better understanding of the original work. The voices of many fans will help make this happen, so please do your part by signing the online petition.
Regardless of whether or not readers agree with what was mentioned by this fan of Chainsaw Man, it turns out that the petition is still open to the public and is about to reach 3000 signatures. This garnered attention on comment boards in Japan, where it inspired opinions such as:
- «Little by little the number is getting bigger and bigger.».
- «Blu-ray/DVD sales are close, then we will see if it really was a failure».
- «I saw the physical Chainsaw Man packages in the last 1000 positions on Amazon, it seems that the number of sales will only be in the triple digits».
- «Chainsaw Man fans are very supportive of the work, but are not willing to buy the records».
- «It reminds me of when people started petitioning to sabotage Kadokawa’s Kemono Friends, and I think it worked for them.».
- «A relatively large number of anti-fans».
- «There was also a counter-signature campaign, but it only got about 400 signatures and the system shut it down.».
- «Well, at least this petition helps people still remember Chainsaw Man, because nothing relevant has happened since it ended.».
- «The final battle will be between the number of signatures and the number of records sold, and it seems that the second is losing».
- «It’s great that they want to re-do the series, but who is going to pay for it? Even anime fans don’t want to support by buying the records, why do you think MAPPA didn’t immediately announce the second season? Something is waiting, don’t you think?».
- «Maybe if they had asked for a different director, but for the second season, the number of signatures will be even higher.».
Synopsis for Chainsaw Man
The story takes place in a world where Demons threaten the peace of humans, making them targets to be eliminated. Denji is a depressed young man who has sold several of his organs and works as a lumberjack and demon hunter to pay off his late father’s debt. Denji owns a dog (which is also a demon) named Pochita, who has chainsaws and which he uses to do his work.
This is explained because humans can make contracts with demons. After returning home from a job, Denji is called by a Yakuza to infiltrate a building and kill another demon. However, the plan was a trap to assassinate him as part of a Yakuza contract with the demon, gaining them more power. But Pochita comes to Denji’s aid and bonds with him, becoming a half-man, half-demon and acquiring Pochita’s chainsaws.
The entry Continue the petition to make Chainsaw Man redo was first published on Kudasai.